Who We Are
FBC Decatur is a vibrant and progressive community of faith located in the heart of Decatur, GA. Here you will find people who are:
- learning to follow Jesus in everyday life;
- encountering community through authentic relationships;
- finding meaning by learning how to believe, not just what to believe; and
- discovering purpose through making intentional, impactful contributions to the world around them.
It’s our hope that your story intersects with our story at FBCD, and that with God’s help, we might write something new and meaningful together!
but you're baptists. does that mean you won't accept me for who i am?
We will totally accept and embrace who you are!
So what does it mean to be Baptist?
First Baptist Church of Decatur participates in a Christian tradition in which all “members” have experienced personal conversion, that is, they’ve placed ultimate trust in Christ and received God’s transforming Spirit into their lives.
This tradition is called “baptist” because each person (after conversion) has been baptized in water symbolizing “death” and “burial” to one’s former life of self-direction and “rising” to live a transformed life directed by the Holy Spirit of God.
Historically, Baptists have stood for:
- Religious freedom (for people of all faiths and of no faith);
- Church freedom (meaning the local church decides its own structure/way of operating);
- Soul freedom (meaning each person maintains/dictates their own relationship with God); and
- Bible freedom (meaning each person has the right to interpret and study the scripture using scholarly resources)
We affirm these values.
In this congregation you will find people of a variety of persuasions when it comes to politics and even religious beliefs. We don’t try to control people’s minds or activities. We leave that to God and the individual!
Want to learn more about what it means to be Baptist?
A great place to start is Walter Shurden's book The Baptist Identity: Four Fragile Freedoms. You can find a copy of it on Amazon by clicking here.